Dancing with Mozart
The Last Dance.
4 Ballets. 3 Choreographers. 1 Composer. New Zealand choreographer Corey Baker’s new work, The Last Dance, tailor-made for dancers of the Royal New Zealand Ballet, completes this programme of New Zealand – and world – premieres, which include works by Great Russian-American choreographer George Balanchine, founder of New York City Ballet and one of the most influential choreographers of all time, and legendary Czech choreographer, Jiří Kylián.
View more about The Last Dance here.
"Choreographed and designed by New Zealand born Corey Baker, The Last Dance is the most politically relevant production the Royal New Zealand Ballet has done in years. It is also one of the most chillingly moving... The melting ice is conveyed by pieces of the dancers’ costumes beginning to peel off, revealing the black beneath, while part of the white floor is simply picked up and carried away. The climax is devastatingly relentless and apt. Everyone involved deserved their standing ovation” Danz.org.nz
- Choreography/Design: Corey Baker
- Music: Duncan Grimley, after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Requiem in D minor K626
- Lighting Design: Michael Mazzola
- 31 May - 02 June 2018 — Wellington
- 08 - 09 June 2018 — Christchurch
- 13 - June 2018 — Invercargill
- 16 June 2018 — Dunedin
- 20 June 2018 — Blenheim
- 23 June 2018 — Palmerston North
- 30 June - 01 July 2018 — Napier
- 06 - 08 July 2018 — Auckland